Monday, July 28, 2008

Block 5

For the first time since my undergraduate years at WPI, I visited Block 5 on Friday evening. I had been informed by a co-worker that the menu had recently changed, so of course in an effort to sound trendier than I truly am, I mentioned this to my companion. Problem was, once we actually got there I realized I couldn't find a single change. I kept my mouth shut about that one.

One thing I didn't remember being there the last time was outdoor seating. There really is nothing better than cocktails outside on a warm evening, even if the view is only of a partially abandoned mill on Green St. in Worcester. It definitely adds a lot to an evening.

We both ordered Mojitos, and so our server asked the obvious question: "Would you just like a pitcher?" Easy sell. The pitcher was only $15, but we each only ended up with (1) not great Mojito. Boo. In a do-over, I would opt for my own cocktail from the extensive list. Sharing doesn't usually work out.

I wasn't too hungry, so I had planned on just an appetizer ($7-12). However, it was a pretty quick turn-off for me to realize that most of the list was a seafood based. The remaining items weren't interesting enough for the obvious calories involved. Since I see the "Juiciest Part of Summer" billboard at least twice a day on my commute, I ordered the burger. I was pleased to see several pre-conceived combinations listed, and even more interested in the "build your own" option with many different items included with no extra charges. Much classier when the bulk of the cheese choices do not have "Add $.59". I added cheddar cheese, tomato, something that had 3 words including ketchup in the title, and avocado. It was an excellent combination. As usual, the burger came with several options for a side - I choose zucchini fries (not nearly as exciting as they sound). For a price, you can also "upgrade" your beef selection from the "house" meat (..really?) to USDA Certified Prime, All Natural Ground Beef, or American Kobe ($17!? for a burger?!). I took my chances with the Block Original/Mystery meat ($10).

After the meal, we each reverted to our old standbys from the booze department, (G&T, $6.75, beer, $4-5, both about standard for the area) rather than get sucked into that Mojito trap again. We enjoyed a very skinny, homely looking man sing Dispatch covers and play guitar, as well as the next table over obviously & adorably on a first date. Judging by how many times they fell into the Mojito trap, it was on track for success.

No comments: