Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wild Willy's

When I am looking to show someone a good time in the homeland, (Maine) there are a few places that I always try to hit. After all, I have to do something to convince them that the complete lack of cellphone service, indoor plumbing, electricity, traffic lights, and general lawlessness are worth the trip1. Imagine my surprise to find that one of Worcester's newest restaurants was actually one of those places! Apparently, franchise locations are popping up throughout New England! Now, you all can enjoy one of my Maine must-visits, without even having to ride a moose to it!

Wild Willy's has just opened up in the former site of Eddy's Restaurant (RIP!), over by the Sam's Club & the Higgins Armory. It began in York, Maine as a super tiny restaurant set back from Route 1 in what could have easily been an old ranch style house. I originally stopped in shortly after I got my driver's license and my pimpin' 1987 Honda Civic playa what!), out of complete curiosity. That, and I had to take Rt1 to the outlets because my civic wasn't four wheel drive. What audacity for a restaurant to locate itself just about completely out of the way from every other restaurant! The answer: It's awesome. Soon enough, all my friends were talking about it and begging to be taken there.

Ok,Ok. Enough of memory lane & the homeland. There are two major characteristics that set Wild Willy's apart from other restaurants: Food & Decor. The menu includes burgers, their veggie counterparts, and the stray chicken sandwich or two. There are maybe 10 variations of burgers, with cute western themed names like "Conestoga"2 or "Annie Oakley". While I have tried almost each and every one, I usually defer to the "Willy Burger" aka "Basic Burger." As they advertise, they are the place to go if you just really love...burgers. The ingredients are fresh, and the food is outstanding. They toast the buns separately. Prices are pretty reasonable too; $6-7 for burgers. Word to the wise: Get the fries, because they are delicious and there is vinegar at the table for them, and I have recently gotten into the +$1 switch to Bison, which apparently is much better for you. They also have wine and beer, and excellent milkshakes. After all, who doesn't want a mocha milkshake to accompany their "Round up"?

The decor is what makes going there such an enjoyable experience. I've been to (4) locations: Worcester & Watertown MA, and York & South Portland ME, and each one is different. BEAUTIFUL western-themed murals cover the walls, but the mural at each restaurant has been different. The one in Worcester is of rolling hills in sepia tones; going to see it alone is worth the burger. Those awkward black and white photos of gunslingers are definitely a staple, as is plenty of antique farm equipment. The whole appearance is so classy and well put together, and you can definitely tell that the people who did it put a lot of time and thought into it. Western themes can go from "Classy" to "Tacky" in about (1) rhinestone belt buckle.

_______________________
1 Let's also not forget about the livestock running rampant throughout the town. Or the fact that the York location is about 5 miles (by moose) to the Kittery Outlets.
2 I had to Wikipedia this word. It is a horse pulled covered wagon. I'm not sure which term sounds sexier.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I looooove that you wrote an article about Wild Willy's. I work about 300 feet from the one in Watertown and, naturally, go there as much as I can for the burgers and milkshakes!